I’m happy to announce that Steve Souders and I will be co-chairing Velocity, the new O’Reilly conference dedicated to Web Performance and Operations. Velocity is happening on June 23-24, 2008 at the San Francisco Airport Marriott in Burlingame, California.
Our theme is “Fast, Scalable, Resilient, Available”. We’re focusing on the crucial skills and knowledge needed by people who are building successful websites. This is the conference that many of us have wanted for a long time, and I’m really excited to help make it happen.
This year’s program committee includes: Artur Bergman (O’Reilly Radar & Wikia), Cal Henderson (Flickr & author of ‘Building Scalable Web Sites‘), Jon Jenkins (Amazon.com), and Eric Schurman (Live.com Search). We’re ready to create this incredible conference, and invite your proposals to lead conference sessions. We are especially interested in the following topics:
- Scaling experiences: What works, what doesn’t, and how to tell the difference
- CDNs – Getting content closer to the customer
- Networking, DNS, and load balancing
- Managing web services and SOAs
- Making RIAs that are fast!
- Maximizing database performance and efficiency
- Optimizing production for customer experience
- Capacity planning and load testing
- Configuration management & Software Deployment
- Infrastructure management, Monitoring, and Instrumentation
- Incident Management and Business Continuity Planning
- Virtualization in Production: Challenges & Opportunities
- Policy / Process / Compliance in distributed environments
The Call for Participation for Velocity 2008 is open. Please see the Velocity Proposals page for more details on submitting sessions. The submission deadline for all proposals is January 3, 2008.