Federico Lucifredi (@federico_II) is the maintainer of man(1) and also the author of the upcoming book, Sensor Interfaces for Arduino. We had a chance to sit down recently and talk about how to connect sensors to microcontrollers (in particular Arduino).
Given how many sensors there are in the wild, there’s a lot to say about sensors. Some of the key points from the full video are:
- When to look for a library to support your sensor and when to just write a few lines of code to read it. [Discussed at the 3:00 mark]
- Thinking about sensors that return non-linear responses and how that might affect your code. [4:40]
- Detecting a human presence on a door mat. [6:00]
- Using a Geiger counter to measure radiation and generate random numbers. [8:14]
- Where to look for docs and code when you start working with an unfamiliar sensor. [11:30]
The full discussion is available in the following video: