Chris Vander Mey, CEO of Scaled Recognition, and author of a new O’Reilly book, Shipping Greatness, lays out in this video some of the deep lessons he learned during his years working on some very high-impact and high-priority projects at Google and Amazon.
Chris takes a very expansive view of project management, stressing the crucial decisions and attitudes that leaders need to take at every stage from the team’s initial mission statement through the design, coding, and testing to the ultimate launch. By merging technical, organizational, and cultural issues, he unravels some of the magic that makes projects successful.
Highlights from the full video interview include:
- Some of the projects Chris has shipped. [Discussed at the 0:30 mark]
- How to listen to your audience while giving a presentation. [Discussed at the 1:24 mark]
- Deadlines and launches. [Discussed at the 6:40 mark]
- Importance of keeping team focused on user experience of launch. [Discussed at the 12:15 mark]
- Creating an API, and its relationship to requirements and Service Oriented Architectures. [Discussed at the 15:27 mark]
- 22:36 What integration testing can accomplish. [Discussed at the 22:36 mark]
You can view the entire conversation in the following video: