At OSCON 2013, Tim (@timoreilly) asked us to aim higher and work on difficult problems while highlighting the most important trends that should be guiding open source developers and entrepreneurs. To illustrate his points, he offered up great examples from companies as diverse as Google, Square, Wikipedia, and O’Reilly Media.
- Open source as a pre-commercial enterprise (0:25)
- Build software above the level of a single device (4:36)
- Rethink workflows and experiences (7:38), moving from retrieval to information fabric (10:52)
- Rethink the possibilities in man-machine symbiosis (13:14); Google’s self-driving car didn’t have better algorithms, just more data thanks to Street View (13:40)
- Create more value than you capture (20:05) and not just for your customers (22:16)
- Work on stuff that matters (29:50)