- How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did — predictive analytics moves faster than family communications. (via Sara Winge)
- Web Caching Tutorial — explanation of the technical ins and outs of web caching.
- Gatekeeper — Apple’s new app security technology for Mac OS X. Identity, general purpose computing, security, and third-party kill switches all in the one technology. (via John Gruber)
Version Control, Web-based ID, Mobile Design, and Node.js Tools
- The History of Version Control (Francis Irving) — concise history of the key advances in managing source code versions. Worth it just for the delicious apposition of “history” and “version control”.
- A Look Inside Mobile Design Patterns — Sample chapter on how different apps handle invitations, from a new [O’Reilly-published, huzzah!] book on mobile design patterns. (via David Kaneda)
- Node Toolbox — concise compendium of resources for node.js development.
WorldCat has a new visualization tool to show relationships between objects in the catalog
The WorldCat Identity Network creates an interactive map where users can see how authors and characters are related.
Online payment requires confirmed identity, but who sees what is an open question.
Report excerpt: Online payment providers need to be sure you are who you say you are, but that's just the beginning. Is it possible to lead an active social life online and still have control over your online identity?
Landau, a noted privacy advocate, is seeking new technologies and new
policies to identify people on the Internet without onerous effects on privacy.