- No Managers — If we could find a way to replace the function of the managers and focus everyone on actually producing for our Students (customers) then it would actually be possible to be a #NoManager company. In my future posts I’ll explain how we’re doing this at Treehouse.
- The 20 Smartest Things Jeff Bezos Has Ever Said (Motley Fool) — I feel like the 219th smartest thing Jeff Bezos has ever said is still smarter than the smartest thing most business commentators will ever say. (He says, self-referentially) “Invention requires a long-term willingness to be misunderstood.”
- Putting Time in Perspective — nifty representations of relative timescales and history. (via BoingBoing)
- Sophia — BSD-licensed small C library implementing an embeddable key-value database “for a high-load environment”.
"jeff bezos" entries
No Managers, Bezos Pearls, Visualising History, and Scalable Key-Value Store
Bezos on Business, CS Ratios, Easier Hadoopery, and AWS CLI
- Bezos at the Post (Washington Post) — “All businesses need to be young forever. If your customer base ages with you, you’re Woolworth’s,” added Bezos.[…] “The number one rule has to be: Don’t be boring.” (via Julie Starr)
- How Carnegie-Mellon Increased Women in Computer Science to 42% — outreach, admissions based on potential not existing advantage, making CS classes practical from the start, and peer support.
- Summingbird (Github) — Twitter open-sourced library that lets you write streaming MapReduce programs that look like native Scala or Java collection transformations and execute them on a number of well-known distributed MapReduce platforms like Storm and Scalding.
- aws-cli (Github) — commandline for Amazon Web Services. (via AWS Blog)
In his annual letter (PDF) to Amazon shareholders, Jeff Bezos discusses the Kindle's place in an "info-snacking" world: … networked tools such as desktop computers, laptops, cell phones and PDAs have changed us too. They've shifted us more toward information snacking, and I would argue toward shorter attention spans … If our tools make information snacking easier, we'll shift…
Roundup: Jeff Bezos and Chris Anderson at BEA, the Value of Evergreen Content, Bonus Features and Ebooks
Chris Anderson to interview Jeff Bezos at BEA; Fad-free books boost one publisher's bottom line; Bonus material coming to ebooks.