ENTRIES TAGGED "svg"
Notable Release, SVG Library, Modular Robot, and Factchecking Politicians Will Not Work
- Quick Reads of Notable New Zealanders — notable for two reasons: (a) CC-NC-BY licensed, and (b) gorgeous gorgeous web design. Not what one normally associates with Government web sites!
- Linkbot: Create with Robots (Kickstarter) — accessible and expandable modular robot. Loaded w/ absolute encoding, accelerometer, rechargeable lithium ion battery and ZigBee. (via IEEE Spectrum)
- The Promise and Peril of Real-Time Corrections to Political Misperceptions (PDF) — paper presenting results of an experiment comparing the effects of real-time corrections to corrections that are presented after a short distractor task. Although real-time corrections are modestly more effective than delayed corrections overall, closer inspection reveals that this is only true among individuals predisposed to reject the false claim. In contrast, individuals whose attitudes are supported by the inaccurate information distrust the source more when corrections are presented in real time, yielding beliefs comparable to those never exposed to a correction. We find no evidence of realtime corrections encouraging counterargument. Strategies for reducing these biases are discussed. So much for the Google Glass bullshit detector transforming politics. (via Vaughan Bell)
Android and Earthquakes, Microsoft Income, SVG Editing, Crawling GitHub for Fun and Profit
- Tale of Android Phone in Earthquake in Haiti — guy in Haiti with working unlocked Android phone and Internet connection used it to channel Facebook “save me” requests to rescuers. (via Andy Linton)
- Microsoft Operating Income by Division — the title says “income”, the graph says “profit”, but either way the online division of Microsoft isn’t healthy. (Love the small Vista tick and large Windows 7 tick).
- SVG Editor in the Browser (via kevinmarks on Twitter)
- Algorithmic Recruitment with Github — crawling GitHub, building in-memory graph of developers, selecting for connectedness and influence.